Sunday 13 April 2014

A Finished Quilt...

Lately I have been gradually getting back into some regular sewing. This is good - if you had asked me a month ago I would have said it is likely I will never sew again.  A few minutes here and there and a clean space to work makes all the difference.

So finally, after three years of on again off again working on it - this quilt is finished. It is Bonnie Hunter's pattern called Roll Roll Cotton Boll. This was her annual mystery quilt in about 2010 (I think?). They are always great fun and you use up HEAPS of scraps - I did not buy a single piece of fabric for this quilt.

 Not a great pic, but it is cold and wet and rainy here so I can't hang it outside...sorry!


 I have come to LOVE hand quilting and this one is quilted by hand in a baptist fan design.


 This is what Baptist Fans looks like:
Photo compliments of http://conquilts.tripod.com/135circles.htm
I bought this bucket of thread off a friend when she was having a cleanout - it was an absolute bargain at $10 - and this quilt was quilted using some of the reels. I think about 4 or 5 in total, starting with the reels with the smallest amount of thread. When one finished I just started another not caring if it was a slightly different shade. This doesn't bother me for two reasons.

  1. No-one is going to notice
  2. It is a scrap quilt - so scrappy threads fit with that. 

 


I have also started designing a new quilt. Designing is not something I have not done a lot of lately. Inspiration comes in funny places...this one came from a little stuffed toy belonging to a colleague, we have nicknamed him 'Q-Cat'. He is from the Oxfam shop and smells lovely as he is filled with Lavender. After weeks of looking at him, I decided he would be a good quilt block.

Fluffy getting acquainted with Q-Cat


The quilt block....I have not quite finished the detail on his face, so the picture shows the paper pattern sitting on the block. What do you think? Cute or what?

I have lots of cat fabric and will be making about 20 blocks - each one featuring a different cat fabric. I also need to add tails - but still deciding how to do that at this point. I am also not sure just yet what the quilt layout will be - but I have a few thoughts running around my brain.

For the pattern I literally just photocopied the stuffed cat! So easy and it was good enough as a base to draw the pattern from.  When I have a decent pattern, I will share with you all - if you would like it?

It is a cold and wet and rainy Sunday here, so I am off to find a new hand quilting project to move along toward finishing. Happy Sewing Everyone!

Bye for Now

Kylie xo

1 comment:

  1. Oh Meeeow, how cute, and what a great idea....now if you can do an owl one as well, maybe we can mix n match them and make our own 'individual' owl and the pussycat quilts lol Or perhaps I should just learn how to design/draw myself...that way I can do it in my free time haha

    Great job on the quilt...and you're right, it's a scrappy quilt so why shouldn't it be quilted with different threads.....nice to see someone else thinks outside the box.

    Hugs
    Naomi

    ReplyDelete